Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A winter of "firsts"


I’d like to start off by saying that this is my first time “blogging,” and it seems like I’m experiencing a lot of “firsts,” this winter at TLH heli-skiing. First time in a helicopter, first time heli-skiing, and believe it or not the first time this Canadian guy has ever played hockey on a frozen lake!

I began working at TLH just this past December and so far it has been without a doubt one of the best times in my life. As an aspiring guide, TLH is my dream job; the ability to be around some of the most experienced guides in North America, and view the terrain I’ve only dreamt about seeing, let alone skiing, is one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever experienced. I heard about TLH several years prior to arriving here, and remember hearing things about how spectacular the terrain was, but I really had no idea until I took that first helicopter ride and my jaw literally dropped. The mountains in this area have the most aesthetic attributes, and make skiing in them almost magical; the remoteness truly resembles a “wilderness experience.” Aside from the skiing at TLH, the lodge itself is just as magnificent and I’m still blown away when I sit down and take a moment to look at where I am.

I feel so fortunate to be able to work and play in such a beautiful area with great people and an awesome energy. I’m looking forward to what more the season brings and what else I have yet to discover in the culture that is TLH heli-skiing.

Ben Groundwater

Aspirant guide/Radio Operator/Ski technician


No comments:

Post a Comment